Friday, January 31, 2014

Diary of a Confused Writer

by

It’s the beginning of a new year and once again, here I am, trying to find myself. I’ve spent countless hours that I should have spent writing, doing quiz after quiz online to discover who I really am. You would think, at my age, I would have figured this puzzle out, and yet, it would seem, I haven’t. And the worst part is not the questions but the answers.

When asked what my personal style is, how do I chose between classic and practical? Isn’t practical classic? And when the topic of high school comes up do I say I was nerdy or an overachiever? Aren’t all overachievers, by definition, nerds? And given a random selection of nine popular celebrities to choose from, when I can only identify one from the crowd, who am I supposed to pick? Especially when that one recognizable celebrity is Justin Bieber. These questions are from just one out of many quizzes. And it would seem it doesn’t matter if I do the quiz twice, mixing up my answers a little. I end up as sushi every time. And ok, being raw fish never felt so good. It says I’m smart, sophisticated, and fancy. But all things being equal, I would have rather been cheese. Everyone likes cheese.

So now I know what food I am, what pop diva I would be, what Star Wars character best suits me, what Harry Potter character I connect with, what Disney princess I am (my personal favorite), what city in the world I most resemble, but what I don’t know is what all this means. Who am I? Really! This has to be the reason I have so many voices in my head, telling me to be someone new every day. I guess that’s why I grew up to be a writer. And a confused one at that.

Erica's latest novel, Suddenly Sorceress, is available from Red Adept Publishing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting me on your blog today! :) I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete